The first order of the day when I got to craft camp was to sew a solstice dress. I’m hosting a solstice dinner a week from now (obviously, since that’s when solstice is) and told people to wear something sparkly or bright, knowing full well that I myself have a regrettable lack of such things in my own wardrobe. So I bought this plastic fantastic fabric from spotlight’s ‘Frozen? I don’t know what you’re talking about, they’re just snowflakes, right next to this strategically placed princess dress pattern’ line. I was initially planning to make it into a shirt dress but then I decided that was not really a classic party dress silhouette, so I thought I’d make a binge dress out of it. It’s obviously pretty sheer so I bought some light blue lining fabric to go under it.
My idea was, being the dress I’d sewn a bunch of times, I could just bang it out and be done with it. This was technically true. I cut it out and sewed it all up on the first day of craft camp, which is NOT a full day so… four hours or so probably? Without a zip, because I wanted to do that at home, and without hems and finishing on the neck and arms because I want to do that with bias binding or ribbon so I won’t be scratched by the fabric, and I didn’t have any on me.
But… the pattern let me down. This is the dress where I couldn’t wear the last one I made without seam allowances, because it was too big. Idk about you but THIS looks like a dress with double seam allowances, to me.
I just don’t even know. If this were knitting I’d be swearing at my lying gauge swatch but as it is…
I am still debating whether to just make the zip have 3” seam allowances, or whether to unpick it. I was leaning towards unpicking because the bust darts are in totally the wrong place, but man. I am not excited about it, lemme tell you. The fabric is surprisingly ok to work with except that it does NOT gather well – it doesn’t give at all so it just folds up all dense instead of bunching together like a natural fabric would. And it also is already kind of tearing where it’s sewn. Perhaps poor needle choice? I am just a bit worried about how it will take unpicking in such an obvious area. And while the bust dart placement looks utterly terrible, I’m not sure non-sewers will notice. Or am I fooling myself. I DON’T KNOW.
I also wish I’d picked a darker underlining. I think this looks objectively better than any of the darker colours I tried but… I think if I’d gone dark blue or even black it would have been subtler (I mean… as sublte as a sparkly snowflake dress is gonne get) which is a bit more my style, and it might even have gotten more than one wear. As it is it’s an extremely limited use dress and I’m not sure it’s going to get worn more than once, which makes me very hesitant to spend much time on it.
Given that it’s Sunday night and I only have one free night this week and the dinner is on Saturday… it’s looking like ‘whack a zip in, call her done’. And actually, although these photos are obviously totally hideous, the bust dart doesn’t look as stupidly placed as I felt like it did. This may or may not be fooling myself. Updates to follow.