As usual this year I had grand plans for sewing, and as usual they got way scaled back. Actually I still have another day to sew some cushion covers because I’m not seeing that person for another 48 hours… it seems unlikely to happen, however.
Here’s what I did sew. A couple of Christmases ago I gave my best friend’s small son the beginnings of a dress up box – scarves and hats and bags and beads, mostly. Last year I sewed him a few extra things for it and this year I continued the tradition.
I used this tutorial as a jumping off point and sort of winged it from there. I didn’t feel confident that the fabrics I had would stand up to wear, so I spend an hour or so singing the edges of them on the gas hob, which had the side effect of making them more three dimensional. Not sure whether that’s a good thing or not. The fins of the tail are a bit wonky but oh well. For the tie, I sewed a strip of the fabric and then sewed it to the tail with a fancy stitch:
Which I wish I’d remembered I had, earlier. The scales are zigzagged on and would have looked nicer with a scallop. And then the ends have velcro so that he can put it on and off himself, and to hopefully extend the years it will fit someone.
And then I also sewed a crown
I happen to know which growth percentile he’s in, so I looked up the numbers for head sizes and used that. The back, which I neglected to photograph, has a strip of knit fabric with some elastic in it, to again hopefully extend its usefullness. He LOVES purple but the only purple stash fabric I had was this sheer, so I layered it over some purplish blue fabric, with some interfacing in between. So many layers were a bit slippery and the inside ended up a bit bigger than the outside – however, that’s what gives it that charming tilt at the points so I feel ok about it.
The only thing I wish I’d done differently is that I wish I’d made it have an odd number of points. As it is, when put on a head, the centre is an edge of a point, if that makes any sense. It would have looked nicer with a point in the centre. However, it was sewn in a heatwave, and I just couldn’t make my brain do the maths, so there it is. Good enough.
I was hoping to have time to also sew a cape or maybe an animal hat/tail set but his birthday is in Marsh so if I feel very motivated I can also aim for that.