Hoo boy this one is another one that was a long time coming!
This knit started with the yarn. I wanted an affordable, thinner than 8 ply yarn, in nice colours. I can’t tell you much more about what started me wanting that because I bought this yarn almost three years ago! It’s Charlemont from valley yarns. I bought two hanks of Burgundy and three of Evergreen. The yarn is merino/silk/poly. The silk gives it a luscious sheen, and the colour is totally gorgeous (very hard to get an accurate photo of though it’s much less orange than it looks in these photos). But there’s enough poly in it to make it feel a bit odd to knit with, which definitely contributed to how long this knit took me. It’s also very fine – I mean OBVIOUSLY, it’s a fingering weight/4ply. The site calls it sock/fingering weight but it’s definitely fingering.
Because it was so fine I couldn’t get gauge for any of the patterns I liked. And anyway, I wanted something very plain and simple – they aren’t very exciting to knit but they’re the kind of garment I reach for over and over, and miss when I don’t have them in my wardrobe. I think I was swatching at craft camp and someone (Suse maybe?) suggested I try CustomFit. So I did! There wasn’t a design that was exactly what I wanted but the design it yourself bit was so easy. The design notes on this one are:
- Hourglass close fit
- Hourglass silhouette
- Style: pullover
- Length: High-hip length [which I then cropped]
- Sleeves: Full-length sleeve
- Neck style: Crew neck
- The pattern called for 1×1 ribbing but I made it 2×2 because that retains its shape better
There’s no option for a cropped jumper, which I knew I wanted, so I just found where the waist would be and knit from there up. Essentially I took 4″ off the length. Details are on my ravelry page.
I really loved using Custom Fit! I always have to add in bust darts and sometimes back shaping – generally I use the method in the Knit to Flatter book (by Amy Herzog who also runs Custom Fit). But honestly it was real nice to not have to do the maths myself. I am perfectly capable of designing this jumper my own self, but really it was worth $10 or so to not have to. Absolutely worth it.
I did hit a major snag when I finished it and basted it all together. The sleeve caps were just laughably too short. Just not even close. I emailed the Custom Fit support and Amy was incredibly helpful. The measurements I’d put in were outside of what the algorithm could cope with, so she recalculated the sleeve caps for me! This involved some very nifty shaping and I am very impressed, both with her understanding of knit shapes, and the customer service. To be frank, I was a very irritating customer – I wrote long waffly emails, and then took months to reply back with crucial details like measurements. Amy was just wonderful throughout the whole process. I would recommend the Custom Fit service on this alone, PLUS the shaping in the jumper is exactly perfect.
The remaining major flaw is my own fault. As I said, I cropped this jumper, because I wanted it to wear over dresses. However, it’s… short. I think really I should have another inch on it, although it does sit nicely over dresses – which was the intention. So I guess it’s a win – except that I don’t really have any dresses at the moment that this would sit nicely over! The ones I had in mind when I designed it have been retired due to wear or poor fit. Plus I really should have designed it with a Vneck to be useful over shirtdresses. I considered ripping back and redoing the neck – it’s not a hard adjustment to make – but this is the total amount of yarn I have left:
So yeah, I’m not risking it! This is the result of some serious yarn chicken on the sleeves. I initially measured them too short because I measured a bought jumper where the sleeves were exactly 2″ too long, but I neglected to notice that the shoulder of said jumper hung off my shoulder by 2″! And so I had to knit them another 2″ longer than the pattern called for – which turned out to be a good thing because I knit the sleeves at a particularly stressful time and my gauge was noticeably tighter, and the sleeves were too narrow! So with all of that, I’ve knit those dang sleeve caps maybe five times? I had to rip back and weight each sleeve and work out how much yarn each row took in order to get sleeves that matched and were long enough. Yeesh! I did a lot of that on our recent trip to Broken Hill, while listening to the latest arc of The Adventure Zone (it’s the BEST you guys), so now every time I look at this jumper I think of those things, which is really nice.
So as you can see, the jumper isn’t quite right for any of my dresses, and it’s also not right for skirts! The pattern as written/generated, an extra 4″ longer, would probably be perfect.
So I have enough of the green yarn to knit the pattern in its original form, and the colour would be more versatile in my wardrobe than this one. But honestly I’m not sure if I’m up for it! This has been on the needles for almost two whole years – mostly sitting idle but even when it was actively being knit on it took forever. That said… I really really like it. The shape is exactly what I had in mind. User error aside, I’m so incredibly impressed by how this turned out. I would 100% recommend the Custom Fit platform and I’ll definitely be using it again. And maybe I’ll even be knitting this pattern again… once I’ve had some time to get over the dramas!